Certificate in the Foundations of Public Health
The Certificate in the Foundations of Public Health is a 16-hour interdepartmental online program that offers coursework in each of the 5 major disciplines of public health for students wishing to earn graduate credit.
The Certificate in the Foundations of Public Health is a 16-hour interdepartmental online program that offers coursework in each of the 5 major disciplines of public health for students wishing to earn graduate credit. Courses are taught by University of Michigan School of Public Health faculty using distance learning. Credits may be transferable to a degree program within U-M SPH or to other schools of public health.
- Study in the full spectrum of public health disciplines
- Real time access to and mentoring by UM-SPH faculty
- Learn and network with fellow students in real time
- Graduate Certificate credential earned
- Graduate credits earned apply to UM-SPH graduate degrees and may transfer to other institutions
The certificate program offers flexibility in study for those wishing to develop foundational skills in public health without the commitment of pursuing a graduate degree. Benefits include:
- Select guaranteed Masters admission for high-performing students
- Eligibility to sit for the Certified in Public Health (CPH) Exam - earning certification
- Access to select UM-SPH Career Development resources
- 5 Courses available
- Earn your Certificate in 8 months or longer
The following comprise the required courses of the Certificate in the Foundations of
Read descriptions and outlines of the courses.
- Introduction to Biostatistics
- Principles of Environmental Health Sciences
- Strategies and Uses of Epidemiology
- Survey of the U.S. Health Care System
- Introduction to Health Behavior Theory and Approaches
Those who would benefit from CFPH coursework include, but are not limited to:
- Public health workers who desire formal graduate training but who are unable to commit to full-time study
- Working professionals who want to take the first step toward a master's degree (16 credit hours may apply to the M.P.H. or M.H.S.A. degree)
- Public and private sector employees who deal with the public health system
- Students in the health sciences who seek to enhance their public health knowledge without completing a master’s degree
- Lifelong learners
Is distance learning right for you?
Take this self assessment to get more information about distance learning and to help you decide whether it is a good option for you.
The current rate* (2014-2015) for Michigan residents is $878 for the first credit hour and $1,042 for each additional credit hour. The current rate* for non-Michigan residents is $983 for the first credit hour and $1,147 for each additional credit hour. There are mandatory fees of $164.19 per term in addition to tuition
Below are sample approximate tuition charges for one term, including the mandatory fee. Your tuition is variable based on the number of courses you elect and the number of courses offered each term. You cannot complete all 16 credit hours in one term.
|Credits||Michigan Resident||Non-Michigan Resident|
*Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice by the Regents of the University, have been updated for Fall 2014 and typically change in the fall term. Complete U-M tuition and fee schedules are available on the Office of the Registrar website.
- Request more information: Email us at CFPHinquiries@umich.edu or call 734-764-5425.
- Print fact sheet about CFPH (PDF).