Basic requirements for PMR admission
- Graduation from an accredited medical school (United States, accredited Canadian programs, or equivalent as outlined by ACGME)
- Completion of at least one year of post-graduate medical training in an ACGME-approved clinical training program in the United States or Canada
- Successful completion of USMLE Step I, Step II, and Step III
- Admission to an academic department within the School of Public Health (for MPH degree): Environmental Health Sciences, Epidemiology, Health Behavior and Health Education, or Health Management and Policy. At this time we are only considering applicants that do not already have an MPH. Application information may be found at www.sph.umich.edu/students/prospective/apply/applications.html
- Selection by the PMR Admission’s Committee (applications of students admitted to an SPH academic department will be forwarded to the PMR Office for review if you have specified interest in the residency)
Specific application instructions for PMR program
- Be sure to indicate your interest in the PMR program by providing the statement shown below on the first line of the Statement of Purpose section on your SOPHAS application for admission to the SPH.
"Applicant for the Preventive Medicine Residency Program"
- You are not required to use ERAS, but if you choose to do so, please note that in order to be considered for the PMR program, all applicants must also complete the application to the MPH academic program as outlined above through SOPHAS.
- Applications can be submitted starting in September for the following July PMR start (September 2010 for July 2011 start). The SPH academic departments admit students on a rolling basis once application deadlines have passed.
- Notify the PMR Office once your SPH Application has been submitted in SOPHAS at: email@example.com
- Complete and submit the two forms below along with a CV and official M-CAT and USMLE scores to the Preventive Medicine Residency Program Office:
1. Supplementary Application
2. Residency Verification Form
Other application information
General residency information can be found at the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education.
Admissions information for international applicants can be found here: www.sph.umich.edu/students/prospective/apply/internationalapplicants.html
School of Public Health Application information may be requested from:
Office of Academic Affairs
University of Michigan
School of Public Health
1415 Washington Heights
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2029
(734) 763-5455 (fax)