Health Reform and Health Disparities
- Health Disparities: A Case for Closing the Gap
- Ensuring that health care reform will meet the needs of minority communities and elimiate health disparities, A Recommendation Report from the HHS Advisory Committee on Minority Health (ACMH), July, 2009.
- Race, Ethnicity & Health Care Reform: Achieving Equity in Our Lifetime, by Dennis P. Andrulis, Nadia J. Siddiqui, Johathan Purtle, Lisa Duchon, December, 2009.
- Moving toward Health Equity: Health Reform Creates a Foundation for Eliminating Disparities, by Families USA Minority Health Initiatives Issue Brief, May 2010.
General articles on Health Disparities
- Adler, N.E., and Newman K. (2002). "Socioeconomic Disparities In Health: Pathways And Policies." Health Affairs 21(2):60-76.
- Epstein, H. (2003). "Enough to Make You Sick?" The New York Times. October 12, 2003. p.65.
- Geronimus, AT, Bound, J., Waidmann,TA., et.al.,(1996) "Excess Mortality Among Blacks and Whites in the United States." The New England Journal Of Medicine 335: 1552-1558. November 21, 1996
- Lantz, P.R. House, J.S., Lepkowski, JM et.al, (1998) "Socioeconomic Factors, Health Behaviors, and Mortality." JAMA 279: 1703-1708.
- Lurie, N. and Dubowitz, T. (2007). "Health Disparities and Access to Health." Journal of the American Medical Association. 297(10): 1118-1120.
- Marmot, M. (2006). "Status Syndrome: A Challenge to Medicine." JAMA. 295(11):1304-1307.
- Williams, D. US R., and Collins, C. (1995) "Socioeconomic and Racial Differences in Health: Patterns and Explanations." Annual Review of Sociology 21: 349-386.1995
Community-Based Participatory Research
- Israel B., Lichtenstein R., Lantz, P., McGranaghan R, Allen A, Guzman R, Softley D and Maciak B. "The Detroit Community-Academic Urban Research Center:" Lessons learned in the development, implementation and evaluation of a community-based participatory research partnership. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice 7: 1-19, September, 2001.
- Israel, BA., Krieger, J, Vlahov D., Ciske S., Foley M., Fortin P., Guzman,JR., Lichtenstein R., McGranaghan R., Palermo, A., and Tang, G. "Challenges and Facilitating Factors in Sustaining Community-Based Participatory Research Partnerships: Lessons Learned from the Detroit, New York City and Seattle Urban Research Centers." Journal of Urban Health 83: 1022-1040. November, 2006
- López, E. D. S., Lichtenstein, R., Lewis, A. T., et al. "Drawing from Freirian Empowerment Methods to Develop and Use Innovative Learning Maps: Increasing Enrollment of Uninsured Children on Detroit's Eastside." Health Promotion Practice 8:181-191. April, 2007. First published on line on September 15, 2006 as doi:10.1177/1524839906286617.
- Lichtenstein, R., Banaszak-Holl, J.,Calloway, J. et al., "Training Welfare Caseworkers in Service Excellence: Increasing Children's Medicaid Coverage." The Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 17(3):486-492. August 2006.
[ back to top ]