SPH 2014 New Student Orientation
The Week of Monday August 25 – Friday August 29, 2014
The U-M SPH Deans and Department leadership strongly encourage orientation participation of all incoming students (MPH/MHSA, MS, and PhD). Please continue to check this page for any updates.
Registration is required. Registration deadline is Monday, August 18, 2014.
Monday, August 25
Tuesday, August 26
- Morning welcome session will begin at 8:30 a.m. with messages by Dean Martin Philbert and many other members of our administration, with a brief overview of our orientation week
- Immediately following this welcome, all M.P.H. and M.H.S.A. students (except Biostatistics) will be required to take the Algebra Exam or Biostatistics Exemption Exam.
- Ph.D students will have a separate session during the exam time
- "You will also be able to pick up your MCard and take a student led tour (NOTE: this requires pre-registration with the MCard office, see below for details).
- Break-out sessions in the afternoon for all Master’s students to prepare for Wednesday’s Practice Plunge.
Wednesday, August 27
- Master’s students will participate in a one-day immersive activity to introduce you to public health practice. The annual Practice Plunge is an opportunity to step outside the classroom and into public health practice, engage in public health through service to a local community health organization and visit a local public health department. This optional for all M.S. and Ph.D. students.
Thursday, August 28
- This day is reserved for departmental activities! You will be contacted by your department within U-M SPH about the specific activities that will take place.
Friday, August 28
- Annual Ph.D. luncheon for new Ph.D. students to meet faculty, advisors, and SPH Leadership.
Tuesday, September 2
- Students Resource Fair, 2:30 p.m., Community Room in SPH I: The Student Resource Fair gives incoming students the opportunity to learn about the resources available to them, both on and off campus. Ice cream will be provided!
STUDENT IDENTIFICATION CARD (Mcard) - In order to pick up your Mcard at orientation on Tuesday, August 26, you must submit your photo by August 20.
Algebra/Exemption Exam Information – Information regarding these exams can be found on the Core Requirements page.