SPH 2013 New Student Orientation
August 26-29, 2013
All in-coming students (M.P.H./M.H.S.A., M.S., and Ph.D.) are required to attend the School of Public Health Orientation. Here's what you can expect during orientation week:
Thursday August 22
- All M.S./Ph.D. International students will check-in via Rackham Graduate School and the International Center. Please register online.
Monday, August 26
- International Student Check-In for all M.P.H. and M.H.S.A. International Students. For International M.P.H./M.H.S.A. students who have not already registered, please register online.
Tuesday, August 27
- Morning welcome session will begin at 8:30 a.m. with messages by Dean Martin Philbert, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Nancy Janz, and many other members of our administration, with a brief overview of our orientation week
- Immediately following this welcome, all M.P.H. and M.H.S.A. students (except Biostatistics) will be required to take the Algebra Exam or Biostatistics Exemption Exam.
- Ph.D. students will have a separate session during the exam time
- You will also be able to pick up your MCard from the MCard staff on-site (NOTE: this requires pre-registration with the MCard office, see below for details).
- Break-out sessions in the afternoon for all Master's students to prepare for Wednesday's Practice Plunge
Wednesday, August 28
- Students will participate in a one-day immerse activity to introduce you to public health practice (Masters students required, Ph.D. students optional). The annual Practice Plunge is an opportunity to step outside the classroom and into public health practice, engage in public health through service to a local community health organization and visit a local public health department.
Thursday, August 29
- Department Day! Your admitting department will develop sessions and activities to highlight their programs and get you involved with the departmental community.
- Biostatistics – 3755 SPH I
- EHS – M1020 SPH II, 10:00 a.m.
- EPID – 1755 SPH I, Time TBD
- HBHE – 1690 SPH I, 9:00 a.m.
- HMP – 1655 SPH I, 9:00 a.m.
Tuesday, September 3
- Students Resource Fair, 2:30 p.m., Community Room in SPH I: The Student Resource Fair gives incoming students the opportunity to learn about the resources available to them, both on and off campus. Ice cream will be provided!
The deadline for registration was Monday, August 19, 2013.
Student Identification Card (Mcard) - In order
to pick up your Mcard at orientation on Monday, August 27, you must submit
your photo by August 20.
Algebra/Exemption Exam Information – Information regarding these exams can be found on the Core Requirements page.