Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Funding

How do I apply for financial aid at the University of Michigan School of Public Health?

Students wishing to be considered for federal assistance should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as required by the UM central Office of Financial Aid. There is no special application process for assistance offered by the school.

How do I apply for federal financial aid?

If you wish to be considered for federal financial aid you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the FAFSA Renewal Form if you applied for any federal financial aid in the previous year. FAFSAs are available from any college financial aid office, or by calling 1-800-4FEDAID, or online. Early submission is strongly advised. When you fill out the FAFSA, you must request that your application data be sent to the university of Michigan Office of Financial Aid (OFA). Your application may be processed faster if you write in the Title IV Code and the name of the university in section H of the FAFSA. This is the only way in which the university can consider you for federal loans and College Work Study.

What is the Title IV Code number for the University of Michigan?

The Title IV Code for the University of Michigan is 002325.

What is the expected cost of attending the School of Public Health?

See tuition & fees.

How can I determine if I am eligible for need-based financial aid?

The formula that the University’s Office of Financial Aid (OFA) uses to determine whether you are eligible for need-based financial aid is as follows:

What is the student contribution calculation?

A standard formula is used to calculate the student contribution for all applicants requesting federal financial aid. The federal government develops this formula and all universities (including the University of Michigan) that receive federal funds must use this formula. The information used in the formula comes from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The FAFSA asks questions about the size of your family, the number of family members in college, and your income assets. Assets include cash, checking and savings accounts, investments, and real estate holdings. Remember, if you are single, only your own financial information is used to determine your student contribution. All of this information is entered into the standard formula. After allowances are made for living expenses, the expected student contribution is calculated.

The amount of the student contribution means two things: (1) how much you or your family appears to be able to pay toward your expenses and (2) where you or your family stand financially compared to everyone else who is applying for financial aid at the university.

What is College Work Study?

College Work Study gives students the opportunity to earn money by working at qualified part-time jobs in and around the university. Students receiving work study awards can review potential part-time jobs with the Office of Financial Aid’s Student Employment Office. Work study is awarded to those students with the greatest financial need. Work study students are some of the most highly sought after employees, on and off campus, because federal or state funding covers as much as 65% of the wage rate, while the employer (university departments, or an off-campus non-profit organization) pay only 35%. Students interested in community service positions may find a number of jobs available through the Work Study program.

What are the conditions of Dean’s Office Awards?

  1. You must be a full time student taking a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester (MPH/MS) or 15 credit hours per semester (MHSA). These credit hours must be required courses for your degree program.
  2. If there is a term you plan to elect less than the required credit hours, you must petition and receive approval from the Director of Student Affairs, before the term begins.
  3. You must maintain satisfactory academic performance (a B average or better).
  4. If you residency status changes while you are enrolled at the School of Public Health, the amount of your award will be affected.
  5. If you receive tuition assistance or a tuition waiver from some other funding source, your tuition grant from the school may be reduced or forfeited.
  6. This scholarship is awarded per term for the length of time needed to complete the number of credit hours required for the master’s degree.
  7. The award will not exceed four semesters. If the required number of courses for the master’s degree can be completed within three semesters, the fourth term of funding is forfeited.
  8. The award cannot be applied to doctoral or other non-master’s degree course work.

Will my federal loans and work study be renewed after my first year?

Yes, as long as you continue to demonstrate financial need according to the federal formula, you will be eligible for need-based financial aid each year that you enroll and apply. The University of Michigan is committed to helping students with limited resources attain a graduate degree. It is important that you complete all the application requirements, and submit updated financial documentation, by the recommended deadlines each year so that the Office of Financial Aid can determine your eligibility as early as possible.

Will my tuition assistance award by the School of Public Health be continued in my second year?

If you are receiving tuition assistance from the School of Public Health, a similar award will be offered during your second year of study provided the conditions of the award are met. These conditions are outlined above. Assuming there is little change in your financial circumstances from year to year, you may expect similar levels of support for both academic years that you are at the School of Public Health.

How and when will I receive my financial aid?

Assuming that all financial aid materials are submitted to Office of Financial Aid by the final deadline, disbursement of financial aid awards will take place on the first day of classes. Otherwise, disbursement takes place as soon as possible after all financial aid materials are submitted. Disbursement is made directly to your University Student Account. Contact the Office of Financial Aid directly for more information on funds disbursement.

Can I get a cash advance?

Not usually, but the University’s Office of Financial Aid and the School of Public Health has an Emergency Loan program. Once approved for a loan, these programs can usually get you money quickly. Contact the Office of Academic Affairs at the School of Public Health (734-764-5425) directly for information.

What happens if I drop all my classes?

It depends on when you drop your classes. If you drop within the first three weeks of the term, you are expected to pay back all financial aid. If you drop after the first three weeks, your financial aid is pro-rated for the term. It is a good idea to talk to a financial aid counselor at the Office of Financial Aid if you plan to drop a class as well as the Director of Student Affairs for any SPH tuition assistance awards.

What if I defer my admission?

If you decide to defer your admission by one year or longer, and you were offered a tuition assistance award, you are not guaranteed to receive the same offer in the next year. Each cohort of applicants is reviewed separately and the criteria that may have enabled an award for one year may not be the same as the next. Decisions related to funding for deferred students will be made in concert with decisions made for new applicants for a given admissions year.

Whom do I call if I have questions?

At the School of Public Health, staff in the Office of Academic Affairs (734-764-5425) can direct you to someone who can answer your questions, or make phone calls on your behalf to address concerns with the Office of Financial Aid or Student Accounts.

The University Office of Financial Aid has a staff of professionals to help see you through the aid application process and also assist you in budgeting your funds. Whenever you have a question, you can visit their office on the second floor of the Student Activities building, in the central campus area, or call them at 734-763-6600. It is suggested that you record the name of each Office of Financial Aid counselor to whom you speak. Try to talk with the same counselor each time so that they become familiar with you.