Learn About Public Health
Why UM SPH
How to Apply & Deadlines
Contact Student Services
Why Study Public Health at U-M?
If you're like most of our students, it's because you want to do great things in public health that no one else is doing. Probably because you want to make a difference that will be felt for decades to come. And certainly because you know a great thing when you see it. Every hour of the day, UM SPH faculty, students, and alumni are deployed around the globe, leading the way in promoting and protecting our health. You can be one of them.
12 things to know:
- The University of Michigan School of Public Health is consistently ranked as one of the top schools of public health in the country, ranking 4th in the most recent U.S. News & World Reports list. We have the nation's #1 programs in Health Management and Policy and Biostatistics.
- The University of Michigan was named #1 in the large university category for Best And Most Collaborative U.S. Colleges in Huffington Post's 2013 infographic.
- We are an active, diverse community, which will enrich your experience as a student.
- The nation's best public health faculty will teach and mentor you here.
- As a student, you will make a local, national, and global difference. At Michigan, you will be involved in public health for the public good.
- You will have unique interdisciplinary opportunities. (Multidisciplinary study takes on countless forms. You decide what meets your interests - and some of your coursework can be in other U-M schools. Michigan has 99 programs ranked in the top 10 nationally). As one example, every one of the innovative MCubed projects involves at least one student. Here are some other examples.)
- Innovation (PDF) and ingenuity thrive here. So can you.
- You will be involved in research that greatly impacts human lives.
- U-M SPH can provide the best opportunities for you to expand and reach your goals. Our active professors and staff, along with our engaged students, are always pushing the envelope on what is possible. We will push you to be your best, and support you in getting there.
- SPH is more affordable than you think. We award $4 million per year in financial aid.
- SPH offers personalized career services to help prepare you for your successful career. Within six months of graduation, 97 percent of School of Public Health graduates are either employed, finishing fellowships or internships, or pursuing advanced-degree or postdoctoral work.
- Ann Arbor is... amazing (video). It's a place you want to bring your talents (video). Need to know more?
Be a part of the Michigan Difference
- In their 2014 ranking of public colleges with the smartest students, Business Insider ranks University of Michigan students #6, saying "I'm not exaggerating when I say the academics here are 'the best.' They truly push students to grow and push past limits they place on themselves."
- U-M encourages active learning and creative thinking (video).
- Michigan is a world-renowned university where more than $1 billion in research is conducted annually. In 2012, U-M ranked FIRST among all public universities nationally in research spending, and in 2013, was ranked among the top 20 universities in the world.
- U-M is consistently ranked among the top five public universities in the nation.
- U-M has of the largest alumni networks in the world - more than half a million strong.
- U-M has top-tier programs in public health, medicine, law, business, engineering, social work, biological sciences, and many other disciplines relevant to public health.
Learn more about UM SPH and UM
- Take advantage of campus-wide opportunities for interdisciplinary and joint-degree programs.
- Explore the world through our many global health partnerships and initiatives.
- Learn from a world-class faculty committed to the integration of research, teaching and service.
- Enjoy a centrally located neighborhood on the main University of Michigan campus, just one block from the Medical School and Health System.
- Engage in fieldwork at the local, state and national levels.
- Join one of the more than 1,000 student organizations at the University of Michigan, including religious, political, ethnic, and social-service groups.
- Live in Ann Arbor, a college town with big-city culture, parks, restaurants, museums and big-time, Big Ten sports.
Join us in creating better health in a better world. Apply by January 15 for priority admission and financial aid consideration.
APPLY NOW TO UM SPH
Spring break service-learning about border health.
Wondering what SPH alums go on to do after graduation? Find out where 5 of them are working in Findings magazine.