A Better Future Starts Here
ranked School of Public Health
in U.S. U.S. News & World Report
About U-M School of Public Health
Simply defined, public health is about promoting health, preventing disease, and protecting people. In the real world of human experience, though, it is a lot more complex than its definition.
Public health is more gritty, more exciting, more daunting, and more powerful than any simple description can evoke. Public health is huge--it encompasses every one of the seven billion people on the face of the earth, and all the richness, depth, poverty, and challenge of the vastly different lives we lead. Transforming public health for the world requires all of what lies within us... to make a difference in what lies ahead of us.
This is our passion, and we invite anyone of similar passion, drive and focus to join us in this quest. And don't worry if you're not exactly sure what your future might hold. There is a place for you here. The University of Michigan School of Public Health has been creating a better future through shaping public health practice, research, and education since 1941 -- and before we were an official school, our roots date back to 1881. You can help us invent the future of public health.
Right now, our faculty, researchers, students, and public health partners are:
- working in labs on viruses, parasites, toxins, and on the leading edge of research in epigenetics;
- devising new techniques for analyzing data on health and illness;
- designing epidemiological studies to track emerging diseases;
- developing strategies to alter behavior that leads to health risks, including motivational interviewing to tailor health messages to individuals with chronic diseases or addictions;
- helping communities solve their own health problems;
- pioneering health policy that gives greater access to health care and prevention services;
- innovating in amazing ways, beyond the traditional academic disciplines, to create new solutions and new ways of thinking about public health across the globe.
At U-M SPH, you will find a full and flexible array of courses, programs of study, student experiences, and concentrations through our six academic departments and one jointly-offered program: