Policies & Procedures for MPH, MHSA, BA & BS Students

MS/PhD students must follow Rackham's policies and procedures.

Academic Conduct

Policy No. 71-5 Approved by Governing Faculty. Revised 5/78, 12/96, 5/04; Current version revised 8/08.

(Some portions of procedures are currently being reviewed; contact the Office for Student Engagement and Practice with specific questions.)

I. Standards of Academic Conduct

The faculty of the School of Public Health expect the conduct of a student registered or taking courses in the school to be consistent with that of a professional person. Courtesy, honesty, and respect should be shown by students toward faculty, guest lecturers, administrative support staff, and fellow students. Similarly, students should expect faculty to treat them fairly, showing respect for their ideas and opinions and striving to help them achieve maximum benefits from their experience in the school.

Student academic misconduct includes behavior involving plagiarism, cheating, fabrication, falsification of records or official documents, intentional misuse of equipment or materials, and aiding and abetting the perpetration of such acts. The preparation of reports, papers, and examinations, assigned on an individual basis, must represent each student’s own effort. Reference sources should be indicated clearly. The use of assistance from other students or aids of any kind during a written examination, except when the use of books or notes has been approved by an instructor, is a violation of the standard of academic conduct.

Each student in the School of Public Health is required to complete an online training module on academic integrity. The SPH Registrar is notifed via e-mail when a student completes the training and a completion certificate is generated for them. This document will remain part of the student's academic record. For their part, faculty members are expected to devote time to defining and discussing ethical issues where appropriate in their classes.

II. Procedure for Handling Alleged Violations of Standards of Academic Conduct

A. Reporting of Alleged Violations by a Faculty Member

A faculty member who observes or suspects that a violation of the standards of academic conduct may have occurred has two courses of action available. He or she should either:

  • Talk with the student directly, reach agreement with the student, and confirm that agreement in a letter of resolution, signed by both the faculty member and the student, which describes the incident and the agreed-upon action, or
  • Submit a written report of the alleged incident to the Office for Student Engagement and Practice (OSEP).

Although many incidents can be resolved through option 1, the faculty member has both options available. It should be noted that the unilateral application of a reduction in grade or other disciplinary action by a faculty member without the informed consent of the student is not considered an acceptable action.

Letters of resolution, signed by both the faculty member and the student involved, must be sealed in an envelope with (a) the student's name and identification number; (b) the name of the reporting faculty member; and (c) the date of the filing; on the outside. Copies of letters of resolution will be kept by the Director of OSEP, and will be destroyed at the time of the student's successful completion of degree requirements. Letters of resolution will be opened by the Director of OSEP only if a student is implicated in a second incident of alleged academic misconduct. In such cases, the Director will follow Sections II.C and II.D of Policy 71-5 (below). If the student is guilty of both violations reported by the letters of resolution, the normal action would be denial of the right to enroll, or to be not awarded any degree from the School of Public Health.

If, in pursuing option 1, a faculty member and a student cannot arrive at a mutually acceptable resolution to an instance of alleged or admitted violation of academic conduct standards, the faculty member should complete and submit a Report of Alleged Academic Misconduct form (Section II.C below).

II.B. Reporting of Alleged Violations by a Student or a Graduate Student Instructor

Students and Graduate Student Instructors (and Graduate Student Research Assistants if they are in a supervisory role) who observe activity they believe to be potentially in violation of the standards of academic conduct are encouraged to report such violations directly to the faculty member responsible for the activity. In situations where the students or Graduate Student Instructors are not satisfied with the faculty member’s response, or are not comfortable reporting to the faculty member, they may report the incident directly to the Office for Student Engagement and Practice.

II.C. Action by the Office for Student Engagement and Practice

A single report on will be investigated by the Director of OSEP in accordance with this Section II.C and the following Section II.D of Policy 71-5.

Upon receipt of a second letter of resolution involving the same student, or an initial filing of an Alleged Academic Misconduct Reporting Form, the OSEP shall take the following actions: (a) Inform, in writing, the student involved of the charges against him/her and provide a summary of the facts which support the charges; (b) Suspend submission of a grade for the student in any course to which the alleged violation is related pending the outcome of action taken with regard to the alleged violation; and (c) Establish an ad hoc committee of five members to receive testimony regarding the alleged violation and determine appropriate action. Three members of this committee shall be faculty selected by the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Practice, and two shall be students selected by the Public Health Student Association, or by the Assistant Dean. Both faculty and student members of the committee shall be selected from study programs other than the one in which the student is enrolled and the one related to the alleged violation. No member of the OSEP shall be a member of this committee, but may be consulted by it if necessary. However, a member of the OSEP staff may serve as a non-voting member if the Committee so desires.

Within ten calendar days following notification by the OSEP, the parties to the dispute may object to appointments made to the committee. If the objection is deemed reasonable by the remaining members of the ad hoc committee, or the Assistant Dean, alternate members may be appointed as described in the paragraph above.

II.D. Action by the Ad Hoc Committee

When the final composition of the ad hoc committee is determined, the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Practice or his/her designee shall convene the committee as soon as possible and charge it with its task. The committee shall elect its own Chair at this meeting.

The committee shall schedule a hearing concerning the alleged violation. The student, or students, and faculty involved in the alleged violation of the standards of academic conduct shall be notified at least two business days in advance of the time and place their presence is requested at the hearing. A student alleged to have violated the standards of academic conduct shall have the opportunity to present a written statement regarding the circumstances of the event in question and/or may appear and present his or her case. The student shall be permitted to review all documents and written statements considered by the committee and may question any witnesses that testify. The student also may present evidence and witnesses on his or her behalf. The committee shall hold further hearings if it deems necessary.

The committee shall meet in closed session to evaluate the evidence and decide upon one of the following three courses of action:

First, find that a violation did not occur and dismiss the case. All documents related to the case shall be destroyed upon such a finding. The committee shall inform the Assistant Dean and Executive Committee of the case and its decision.

Second, find that a violation did occur and:

II.D.a. If the nature of the violation warranted, recommend to the student specific action to be taken by the student to rectify the breach of standards. The student shall accept or reject the committee’s recommendation in writing within five business days. The student’s failure to act within the five day period shall be deemed a rejection of the committee’s recommendation. Or:

II.D.b. If the violation was more serious, or in any case in which the student rejects the committee’s recommendations as described in the preceding paragraph II.D.a., the committee shall recommend that the Dean and Executive Committee of the School of Public Health place the student on probation or suspend or dismiss him or her, or take other appropriate action which could include the rescission of a degree.

In any case in which recommendations are made to the Dean and Executive Committee, as decribed in the preceding paragraph (II.D.b.), a record of the recommendations, the outcome, and the documents relating to the case shall be retained by the School in a special locked file with a cross-reference in the student’s file.

II.E. Action by the Dean and Executive Committee

If the outcome of the case is a recommendation as described in paragraph II.D.b., the Assistant Dean and the Executive Committee shall determine what action should be taken.

III. Procedures to be Followed in Cases of Alleged Theft or Vandalism of Library Materials.

Theft of, or acts of vandalism concerning, books and materials in the libraries of The University of Michigan are forbidden by Michigan laws and Regental Acts. Signs to that effect are posted in the library. If a member of the library staff discovers a suspected instance of theft or vandalism, the following procedures shall be followed:

The name of the student concerned shall be requested. A brief description of the incident must then be sent from the librarian to the student concerned and to the OSEP with a copy retained in the library. However, if in the judgment of the OSEP the incident appears to be a clear instance of attempted theft or vandalism, the OSEP may choose to take disciplinary action. Such action can range from filing a charge under Section II above, or invoking the Regental Acts or the law of the State of Michigan.

If an incident occurs a second time with the same student, the same procedure shall be followed, and the student shall be invited, by the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Practice or his/her designee, to discuss the matter in person. If the student refuses, he or she will be informed in writing of the incident, and a copy kept by the OSEP.

If an incident occurs a third time with the same student, the same procedures as before will be followed and disciplinary action taken. This action could be the invoking of the law of the State of Michigan or the Regental Acts, and could result in the expulsion of the student from the University.

Procedures to be Followed in Cases of Alleged Misuse of Information Resources.

(Information resources in this document are meant to include any information in electronic or audiovisual format or any hardware or software that make possible the storage and use of such information. As example, included in this definition are electronic mail, local databases, externally accessed databases, CD-ROM, motion picture film, recorded magnetic media, photographs, and digitized information such as the content of MIRLYN.)

In accordance with established University practices, policies and procedures, confirmation of inappropriate use of University of Michigan technology resources may result in termination of access, disciplinary review, dismissal, and/or legal action.

The University characterizes as unethical and unacceptable, any activity through which an individual:

  • violates such matters as University or third-party copyright or patent protection and authorizations, as well as license agreements and other contracts,
  • interferes with the intended use of the information resources,
  • seeks to gain or gains unauthorized access to information resources,
  • without authorization, destroys, alters, dismantles, disfigures, prevents rightful access to or otherwise interferes with the integrity of computer-based information and/or information resources,
  • without authorization invades the privacy of individuals or entities that are creators, authors, users, or subjects of the information resources.

If a student is accused of participating in any of the above activities, the procedures outlined in Section II of this document shall apply.

Student Records

1. Supplementary Policies on Student Records

This document contains specific policies and procedures to be followed in this School.

It conforms to and supplements the University’s Policies on Student Records, the provisions of which shall govern in all matters not specified in this document. Copies of the University’s policy statement are posted on bulletin boards outside the Dean’s Office and the University Registrar’s Office.

School policies and procedures will be updated as often as necessary and will be reviewed annually by the Executive Committee of the School.

2. Purpose of Student Records

This School collects information about students and maintains student records for purposes of counseling students and assisting them in the completion of their academic program. The School also uses information from student records in conducting studies designed to improve instruction and service to students.

3. Information in Student Records

Four basis categories of information are included in student records:

  • Admission materials including the application for admission, test scores, transcripts, and correspondence.
  • Financial Aid materials including application forms, financial information supplied by students and/or parents, and correspondence.
  • Official School academic information including a copy of the student’s academic record, election forms, Degree Verification Form, and correspondence.
  • Notes placed in the file by academic advisors, summarizing the purpose of the student’s contact with the advisor, matters discussed and/or commitments made, and relevant observations.

4. Access to Student Records

By Students. Any student currently or formerly enrolled in the School may examine all materials in his/her records except:

  • - records maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional, which are used only for treatment purposes. (Such records may, however, be reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student’s choice.
  • - financial information submitted by parents.
  • confidential recommendations concerning admission, applications for employment or honorary recognition, or any other material for which the student has specifically and in writing waived his or her right of access.
  • - notes made by a faculty member or administrator which are in the sole possession of that person and are not shared with others.

Students who wish to examine their records shall file a written request with the Registrar, School of Public Health. Every attempt will be made to schedule an appointment for the student to review the records within three working days after the request is received, but in no event will access be delayed more than two weeks. Once a request has been received, no material shall be removed from the record until the student has reviewed it.

All records shall be examined in the presence of an office staff member of the Office for Student Engagement and Practice.

Students may obtain copies of all materials in their files except:

  • - exempt matter as noted above
  • - transcripts, which the student shall be directed to obtain from the Registrar’s office which issued them.

By School of Public Health Staff. Faculty advisors shall have such access to student records as is required to perform their advising.

Clerical staff in the Office for Student Engagement and Practice and departmental student services staff shall have direct access to such student records as their particular responsibilities require.

Other faculty members shall have access to student records consistent with a demonstrated need to know.

By Other University Staff. The Director of Student Services or his/her designee may provide information from student records to other University staff members who demonstrate a need to know consistent with their official functions for the University and consistent with normal legal and professional practices.

By All Others. Other than public information, persons outside the University shall be given personally identifiable information from student records only upon the specific written authorization of the student involved except:

  • - when disclosure is required by subpoena or by federal or state law; or
  • - in connection with a student’s application for, or receipt of, financial aid; or
  • - in connection with studies conducted for the purpose of accreditation, development and validation of predictive tests, administration of student aid programs, or improvement of instruction; or
  • - when there is a health or safety emergency.

All persons or organizations receiving such information shall be notified in writing that they may use it only for the purpose for which it was furnished, that they may not make it available to others without obtaining the written consent of the student involved, and that they must destroy it when it has served the purpose for which it was intended.

5. Record of Access to Student Records

The School of Public Health shall maintain a record of all persons or agencies from outside the University who have requested information (other than public information) from a student’s records. This record shall indicate what information was requested, and whether the request was granted. The record shall be available for inspection by the student and it shall be retained as long as the unit retains the record of that student.

6. Hearing Procedure

A student currently or previously enrolled in the School of Public Health may seek a hearing because (a) he or she has been improperly denied access to non-exempt student records, (b) he or she wishes to challenge the content of such non-exempt student records and to obtain the correction or deletion of such material, or (c) all or part of his or her record has been released to third parties contrary to the provisions of these policies.

The student’s appeal shall employ the following procedure:

  • The student shall file a written statement with the Director of Student Affairs, including a description of the records at issue and an explanation of the specific alleged problem regarding such records.
  • Within 10 days, the Director of Student Services, in consultation with the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Practice, shall respond in writing to the student’s statement.
  • If dissatisfied with the resolution of the matter, the student may request that it be considered by the Grievance Committee. Such requests shall be made in writing and must be filed within 10 days after the date of reply by the Assistant Dean and/or the Director of Student Affairs.
  • Every attempt will be made to schedule the hearing within 10 days of the receipt of the request, and the student shall be notified in advance of the date, time and place of the hearing.
  • The student shall be afforded a full opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issues raised and may be assisted or represented by an individual of his or her choice (at the student’s expense).
  • The Grievance Committee shall report its findings and recommendations to the Dean, who shall communicate his/her decision in writing to the student not more than 20 days after the hearing. The Dean’s letter shall summarize the evidence presented and the reasons for the decision.

Whatever the final outcome, the student shall have the right to insert a written explanation concerning the matter at issue in his or her record. Such explanation shall be include with any authorized disclosure of that record.

Student Grievance Appeals Procedure

The Student Grievance Appeals Procedure is the formal mechanism within the School of Public Health for reviewing student grievances after all efforts between the parties involved has proved unsuccessful.

It is the primary intent of this formal procedure to provide a means for dealing with a number of questions relating to student grievances.

Before the formal procedures are invoked, it is strongly recommended that every effort be made by all parties to resolve differences informally. Procedures and remedies at the departmental level should be exhausted before appealing the case. Subject matter for appeal includes, but is not limited to, the following areas if they are within the jurisdiction or control of the School of Public Health:

  • - all aspects of the degree involving grading and evaluation
  • - unjustified denial of student access to data or misappropriation of student data
  • - professional misconduct toward students
  • - unfair, discriminator, or intimidating treatment of students, including sexual intimidation and discrimination against disabled persons.

The grievant should make every reasonable effort to discuss the complaint with the faculty member(s) involved. If this discussion is not satisfactory, the grievant should next submit a written statement to the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Practice, and/or the Director of Student Services, requesting the appointment of an ad hoc appeals committee. This written statement must describe the specific nature of the complaint, the facts which support the complaint, and the previous efforts made to discuss the complaint with the faculty member(s) involved. The statement must be submitted within 60 calendar days after the last day of the term in which the alleged cause for the grievance occurred. The student is not required to be physically present to file; filing by mail is acceptable.

Copies of the Grievance Appeals Procedure are available upon request from the Office for Student Engagement and Practice.

University Policy on Sexual Harassment by Faculty and Staff (March 14, 1994)

It is the policy of the University of Michigan to maintain an academic and work environment free of sexual harassment for students, faculty, and staff. Sexual harassment is contrary to the standards of the University community. It diminishes individual dignity and impedes equal employment and educational opportunities and equal access to freedom of academic inquiry. Sexual harassment is a barrier to fulfilling the University’s scholarly, research, educational, and service missions. It will not be tolerated at the University of Michigan.

Sexual harassment violates the University’s long-standing policy against discrimination on the basis of sex. Sexual harassment is also illegal. It is prohibited in the employment context by Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, in the education context by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and, in both employment and education contexts, by Michigan’s Elliot- Larsen Civil Rights Act, adopted in 1976.

A claim under this policy may be brought by the University or by a faculty, staff or student member of the University community based on the conduct of any University employee. Complaints based on conduct by students who are not also employees of the University are addressed in the Interim Policy on Discrimination and Discriminatory Conduct by Students in the University Environment, which is administered by the Office of Student Services.

Sexual harassment can be a very serious matter having far-reaching effects on the lives and careers of individuals. Intentionally false accusations can have similar impact. Thus the charge of sexual harassment is not to be taken lightly by a charging party, an accused party, or any member of the University community. A person who knowingly and intentionally files a false complaint under this policy is subject to University discipline.

More detailed information on the University’s Policy on Sexual Harassment can be obtained from the Director of Student Affairs.

Student's Responsibilities

  1. Website, Handbook, Brochures, etc. Students are responsible for becoming familiar with, and adhering to, all policies and procedures that are applicable to graduate students at the School of Public Health.
  2. Monitoring Program. Students are solely responsible for monitoring their graduate program. They should work closely with their advisor, the Student Services Representative in their department, and the School Registrar.
  3. Degree. Students who are ready to graduate must obtain a Diploma Application from the Office for Student Engagement and Practice. Students are responsible for completing and filing the Diploma Application with the School Registrar no later than the following deadlines:
    1. October 1 for December graduation
    2. February 1 for May and August graduation

Degrees are granted in December, May and August. The University of Michigan has graduation ceremonies in May and December; the School of Public Health has its own Commencement ceremony at the end of April. August graduates are invited to participate in the May ceremonies. December graduates may participate in the School of Public Health ceremony the following April. No graduate student will receive a diploma until all financial obligations to the University have been fulfilled.

  1. Registration. It is the student’s responsibility to request verification of their enrollment. Discontinuance of a class does not constitute a withdrawal. Students should become aware of the refund policy when dropping classes, or withdrawing from the term (see Time Schedule).
  2. Attendance. Students are required to attend all classes. Individual instructors determine policies for absences. Classes are scheduled to begin promptly at 10 minutes after the hour, and continue until the end of the period.
  3. Final Grades. A grade report is mailed to each student after grades have been recorded. Students also have access to their grades via Wolverine Access and the Touchtone Telephone Grade Reporting System.
  4. Transfer of Credit. A maximum of 6 credit hours of graduate study may be accepted for transfer from an accredited institution. The form may be obtained from the School Registrar.
  5. Change of Program. Students, who wish to change programs, or to add an additional field, must present a written request to the School Registrar. After consideration by the appropriate department, the student will be informed of the decision.
  6. Leave of Absence. A student who does not register for classes for three terms would need to submit a reactivation form to be eligible for further registration.
  7. Time Limits. All requirements for a master’s degree must be completed within five years from the date of the first enrollment in the program. The time limit is seven years for a doctorate degree.
  8. Dual Degrees. Students seeking dual degrees (e.g., Master of Public Health/Master of Social Work) must apply to both units. Concurrent registration in both units would depend on the degrees being sought. Students should discuss dual registration with the School Registrar.

Registration, Course Enrollment, and Registration Status

Registering for Classes

You must have a registration appointment to register via Wolverine Access.

If you are a non-degree applicant, you must attend the first class of the term and request permission to take the class from the instructor. Permission will be granted or not depending on space available. After receiving permission from the instructor, non-degree students may register via Wolverine Access on the first day of classes.

Problems Registering? There are a number of possibilities:

  1. Review the course restrictions and prerequisites for the class.
  2. You may need an override – contact the department offering the course.
  3. You may have a hold. Check your status via Wolverine Access.
  4. You may not have a registration appointment. Please contact the central Registrar's Office if you have not received an appointment from the Office of the Registrar.
  5. You may need to apply for readmission (PDF).

Students enrolled in residential programs may elect courses in any of the other schools on campus provided they meet the course requirements and have the approval of their Faculty Advisor(s). Undergraduate courses will not count for credit toward a graduate degree in SPH. 

Students enrolled in an online program are not permitted to count SPH residential courses or courses from other schools on campus toward their degree.

Any initial registration on or after the first day of the term is considered late. Exceptions would be for non-degree students (who are required to wait until the first day of the term to register) and students who were admitted less than two weeks before the start of the term. In extraordinary circumstances, the University of Michigan Office of the Registrar may waive late enrollment fees. A request must be submitted in writing to the SPH Registrar's Office.

In order to be considered full-time as a graduate student, a student must be enrolled for 9 or more credits. In order to be considered full-time as an undergraduate student, a student must be enrolled in 12 or more credits during a regular academic semester (fall and winter). For spring/summer half terms, full-time status is 6 or more credits for undergraduate students. If a student is receiving SPH funding, they are required to be registered for 12 or more credit hours.

Through the third week of classes in a full term, students may add, drop or modify a course via Wolverine Access. A student who wants to drop the only course for which they are registered must follow the term withdrawal procedures posted on the central Registrar's Office website.

After the third week in a full term students must obtain the signatures of their instructor, department program coordinator, and school registrar as approval to drop, add or modify a course.

  • Late Drop Requests: From the Student Center, click Backpack/Registration, then click the Drop tab. Select the course and click Drop Selected Classes. On the confirmation screen, verify you selected the correct class and click Finish Dropping/Adding. If you are eligible to submit the late drop request form electronically, a Request for Late Drop button displays. Click the button to access the form. If you are not eligible to submit a request, an error message is displayed.
  • Late Add Requests: From the Student center, click Backpack/Registration. On the Add tab, add the class to your Backpack following the standard Backpack procedures. Once the class is in your Backpack, select the class, click the Proceed to Step 2 of 3. Verify you have selected the correct class and click the Finish Registering button. If you are eligible to submit the late add request form electronically, a Request for Late Add button displays. Click the button to access the form. If you are not eligible to submit a request, an error message is displayed.
  • Late Modify Requests: The form that is required to be used is a drop/add form and these can be obtained by seeing the school registrar in SPH or the department program coordinator. Once the form has all three signatures, the student will need to take the form to the central Registrar's Office with picture ID. Courses cannot be modified after the last meeting day of the specific course being dropped. Please be sure to check the course end date before turning in your modification form.

What is Academic Probation?

Graduate students placed on academic probation for having a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) below a "B" (3.00) or for having accumulated 9 incomplete credits. Undergraduate students will be placed on academic probation for having a term (semester) or half term Grade Point Average (GPA) below a "C" (2.00).

The Office for Student Engagement and Practice will notify students of their probation status; department/program coordinators, department chairs, and faculty advisors will also receive probation notification for their students. Students will be referred to their faculty advisor to discuss strategies for regaining good academic standing. Upon the recommendation of his or her departmental chair, and with the consent of the Office for Student Engagement and Practice, a student may be granted an opportunity to correct the scholastic and/or academic deficiency. Students must return to good academic standing within the next term (semester).

See the Transfer Credit Request (PDF) form, which includes guidelines. You may not transfer in courses that were used to complete degree requirements for another degree. You will be asked to produce a letter from your previous institution/department that states the credits you are attempting to transfer were not used for a previous degree.  You will also be asked to provide an official transcript from your previous institution/department.  

Up to one-half (1/2) of the minimum number of credit hours required for a degree program in SPH may be transferred to a student's record from Inter-University and Intra-University sources combined. The student must, therefore, be admitted and enrolled in SPH while obtaining at least 50 percent of the credits necessary for the SPH degree, though students enrolled in an SPH/Rackham degree program and wishing to transfer to an SPH degree program are exempted from this requirement. Credits transferred from courses taken prior to enrollment in SPH must generally include no more than six hours of graduate credit obtained from other accredited schools and universities, and no more than ten hours of extension credits and credits from other institutions combined. The transfer of Intra-University credit appears on the SPH academic record and the associated grades received for this credit also appear and are computed in the student's cumulative GPA. Intra-University credit may be transferred only for approved graduate-level courses if all of the following conditions are met:

Receipt in the Office of Student Affairs, SPH, of a transcript from the unit(s) giving the courses, and
Approval of the student's SPH department or program chair.
Courses cannot be transferred for credit if:

Already applied toward another degree,
Taken more than five (5) years prior to entering the present SPH program, or
A grade below a "B" was earned.

If a student is interested in changing programs within SPH they need to contact the department they are interested in entering to see if admission would be possible. A student will need to fill out the Application for Public Health (Non-Rackham) Program Change online form and submit this with their application to the department they are applying to. The department Admissions Committee will review and indicate their decision.

At this time, students enrolled in an online program are not permitted to change programs within SPH. 

If a student is unable to register for courses, their student status will remain active for one academic year.  After one academic year of no course registration, the student status will automatically be changed to discontinued.  If a student has been away from the school for longer than one academic year and wish to return, they will need to fill out the Readmission Application : https://sph.umich.edu/student-resources/forms/readmission_application.pdf .

Grading and Transcripts

Coursework is graded with a letter system (A, B, C, D, or E) except for special courses noted below. An instructor may add "+" or "-" to grades.  

The minimum acceptable grade to successfully pass a course is a C-.  The maximum term and
cumulative GPA is 4.0.

Letter grades are converted into numbers, or points, as follows:

  • A+ = 4.3
  • A = 4.0
  • A- = 3.7
  • B+ = 3.3
  • B = 3.0
  • B- = 2.7
  • C+ = 2.3
  • C = 2.0
  • C- = 1.7
  • D+ = 1.3
  • D = 1.0
  • D- = 0.7

These numbers are used to calculate Michigan Honor Points (MHP) and the Grade Point Average (GPA). Michigan Honor Points (MHP) are calculated by multiplying the number of credit hours for which the course was elected by the number of points earned on the grading scale. For example, a grade of B for a 3 credit hour course produces 3 (credit hours) x 3.0 (points for a grade of B+), or 9 honor points. The grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing Michigan Honor Points earned for a term or more by the number of semester hours (or credit hours) for the courses. A total of 45 MHP for 12 course credit hours produces a GPA of 3.75.

Other transcript notations include

Visit (VI)

"VI" appears on the transcripts of students who successfully complete a course which they have elected to visit (audit). These courses do not count for degree credit requirements. Students who do not complete a course to the satisfaction of the instructor and who have not dropped the course may receive a notation of "E" or "ED" (unofficial drop, equivalent to failure) on their transcript. This grade is calculated as part of the student’s GPA.

Satisfactory (S) and Unsatisfactory (U)

With permission from the advisor and the course instructor, a student may elect S/U grading in a course that would otherwise be letter graded. Instructors cannot assign letter grades to students electing courses designated as S/U. A grade of "S" indicates that the instructor considers the student to have performed satisfactorily at the graduate level, and is counted toward the credit hour requirements of the graduate program. A grade of "S" is considered to be a grade of "B" or better. A grade of "U" is assigned when a graduate student’s level of performance is not acceptable, and is not counted toward a student’s required credit hours. Grades of "S" and "U" are not converted into numbers, and are not factored into the Grade Point Average or Michigan Honors Points.

Drop (W) and Unofficial Drop (ED)

A course that is officially dropped after the first three weeks of a full term (or the first two weeks of a half term), will be recorded with the notation of "W," and will not earn credit hours toward the degree program or Michigan Honor Points.

A student who registers for a course and either never attends or stops attending—but does not officially drop the course—receives a notation of "ED" (unofficial drop). A notation of "ED" is equivalent to a grade of "E" (failure).

Effective for students admitted Fall 2012 and beyond:

  1. An "Incomplete" (denoted on the transcript by the symbol I) may be given by an instructor only if the work is unfinished for reasons acceptable to the instructor.
  2. The unfinished work that resulted in an incomplete grade must be submitted within one year (12 months) of the time when the grade was given. If an Incomplete is given in the Fall term, the coursework must be submitted by the last day of the following Fall term. If an Incomplete is given in the Winter term, the coursework must be submitted by the last day of the following Winter term.
  3. Based on University policy, the "I" is not removed when the course is completed but remains on the transcript. For example, if a "B" grade is earned, the grade will appear on the transcript as an "IB".
  4. An "I" grade will lapse to an "E", if the unfinished work is not submitted by the required deadline described in the previous paragraph. In such cases, no degree credit is earned and the course is then computed as an "E" in the term and cumulative grade point averages.

*Exceptions to this policy require approval of the Assistant Dean of Student Engagement and Practice. Requests for exceptions must be made in writing by the student and signed by the faculty instructor.

  1. We encourage any student who believes that a grade received in a course is unfair to set up an appointment with the instructor to discuss how the grade was determined.
  2. If step 1 does not resolve the grade issue, the student must contact the instructor in writing, within two weeks of the start of the next term. For grades given for Fall term courses, the student has two weeks into the beginning of the Winter term. For grades given for Winter term courses, the student has two weeks into the beginning of the Spring or Spring/Summer term. The instructor should respond in writing to the student within 2 weeks of receiving the student complaint.
  3. If the disagreement is not resolved in the steps above, the student must file a written appeal with the Department Program/Curriculum Committee. The appeal must be received no later than the first 6 weeks of the Fall/Winter term following the semester when the grade was given. The student must explain the nature of the dispute and attach copies of all relevant graded materials. The instructor will receive a copy of the letter and will have the opportunity to respond to the Department Program/Curriculum Committee.
  4. The Department Program/Curriculum Committee will consider the student appeal and the instructor's response. Each party has the option to appear before the committee and may do so without the other(s) being present.
  5. If the Department Program/Curriculum Committee concludes the original grade to be reasonable, a statement will be drafted to the student rejecting the appeal.
  6. If the Department Program/Curriculum Committee recommends the grade be changed, a document will be drafted stating the reasons for and specifying the recommended new grade. The Department Program/Curriculum Committee will then determine if the instructor is willing to change the grade or if some other action is acceptable. If these actions fail a letter will be placed in the department’s grievance file, and in the instructor’s and student’s files stating the Department Program/Curriculum Committee’s findings. The student will also receive a copy of the letter.
  7. If the instructor is no longer at the University the Department Program/Curriculum Committee will change the grade.
  8. The student will be notified in writing of the final decision. There will be no further hearing on this matter.

Transcripts can be ordered in one of three ways:

Order online.

Current and many former students with a uniqname and university/Kerberos password can order transcripts online through Wolverine Access. From the Student Business page, choose Order Transcript. This option is not available to those students who need rush service, have attachments which must accompany the transcript, or who last attended prior to Fall 1993.

Send a letter.

Fax or mail a request to the central Registrar's Office. A printable order form is available. Please include:

  • Complete student name and handwritten signature
  • Student identification number or Social Security number
  • Dates of attendance at the University and the school/unit of enrollment (e.g. LSA or Rackham)
  • Degrees awarded
  • Current mailing address and daytime phone number
  • Names and complete addresses of all recipients

Mail or fax a letter to:
Transcript and Certification Department
Office of the Registrar
University of Michigan
1210 LS&A Building
500 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382
Phone: 734.763.9066
Fax: 734.764.5556

Come to the office.

For students/alumni who cannot use Wolverine Access, need a transcript quickly, or have transcript attachments, an order can be placed in person at one of the Student Services locations - be sure to bring photo identification.

Note: Transcript orders are not accepted via e-mail.
Transcript processing ordinarily takes two business days and is free of charge.

 Readmission/Time to Complete Degree

A student is allowed 5 years from the start of the program for an MPH or MHSA to complete degree requirements. If a student has been away from the school for one academic year or longer, they will need to fill out the Readmission Application (PDF). This application should be submitted to the department the student was initially admitted to.


Students applying for graduation may use the self-service graduation application in Wolverine Access (from the Student Business page, select Apply for Graduation). The online application will be available until the last day of classes for the common University Academic Calendar term in which the degree requirements are completed. Students can only apply for graduation for Fall, Winter and Summer terms. It is not available for any other terms.

Students do not have to be registered for classes for the term they have applied for graduation.

*Students must apply to receive a diploma. Diplomas will not be distributed at the Graduation Ceremonies.

Public Health has one commencement ceremony a year at the end of April beginning of May. Any student that has graduated in the previous Summer and Fall terms or has applied to graduate for Winter or the future Summer term may participate in the ceremony. Information regarding the commencement ceremony will be e-mailed to students and will be posted to the SPH graduation information web page on the SPH website.

SPH students are also eligible to participate in the university-wide ceremonies that are held in December and April.

For a student to graduate from SPH with an MPH or MHSA degree they must have certain degree requirements completed. There are two sets of requirements that need to be completed. The first is a student's program requirements and the second is a student's school requirements. The program requirements are decided upon by the individual's department. The school requirements are the following:

  • a student must complete 60 graduate-level credits,
  • have at least a 3.0 (B) GPA,
  • complete the School-wide Core Curriculum.
  • complete HIPAA and Academic Integrity trainings,
  • provide an official undergraduate transcript showing completion of the undergraduate degree.

If any of these are incomplete the student will not graduate.

The University provides a free standard size diploma to each student after graduation. These diplomas are ordered by the central Registrar's Office. The size of the School of Public Health Diploma is 8 1/2" x 11".

Remember, when graduating, a student must apply to receive a diploma. The diploma will be mailed to the address a student indicates in Wolverine Access.

Additional diplomas may be ordered in one of two ways:

Send a letter or order your diploma online. If sending a handwritten letter, be sure to include the following information:

  • Diploma size
  • Full name (as it should appear on the diploma)
  • Maiden name (if different from full name. See note*)
  • Student identification number or Social Security number
  • Telephone number and/or e-mail address
  • School or College attended
  • Degree received
  • Date conferred
  • Field of study
  • Address to which the diploma should be mailed.
  • Amount of payment enclosed

Replacement charges for diplomas are as follows:

  • 8 1/2" x 11" -- $15

Checks should be made payable to: The University of Michigan. MasterCard and VISA are not accepted as payment for a diploma order.

* Note: If a student registered at the University of Michigan under a maiden name and wishes the diploma to reflect a married name, provide legal name change documentation along with the diploma request (e.g. copy of driver's license or marriage license).

Mail orders to:
Diploma Department
Office of the Registrar
University of Michigan
1210 LS&A Building
500 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382

Come to the office. An order can be placed in person at one of the Student Services sites. Be sure to bring photo identification.

Diplomas are not prepared by the University of Michigan Diploma Department therefore a guaranteed delivery schedule is not possible. Please allow three to four weeks for delivery of replacement diplomas.

Tuition and Fees

Religious Holidays